Tour The Four Mile House

The Four Mile House dates back to 1859 and is a historic part of Cherry Creek.  The house is burrowed on the banks of Cherry Creek and in its day was a welcome house and the last place along the Cherokee Trail to Denver for tired pioneers to spend the night, find a home cooked meal, drink cool fresh water or to wash off the trial dirt.

The house was constructed by the Brantner brothers in 1859 and later sold in 1860 to Mary Cawker, a widow with two teenage children. Mary and her two children opened the home to serve as hospitality to traveler.  In 1864 Mary Levi and Mille Booth purchased the property and kept it as a stage stop for weary travelers.  However, the Booths built a thriving farm on the property, as well.

Stage and freight business began to decrease in 1870 with the arrival of the railroads.  Millie Booth, who added greatly to the family income, was considered one of the area’s first female entrepreneurs, producing butter and honey.   The property had grown to 600 acres and in one year alone, Millie had enough hives on the property to make 4,000 lbs. of honey.  The Booth family remained on the property until 1940.  The City of Denver purchased the property in 1975, which consisted of the home and 12 remaining acres of the farm.  In 1978 the property was completely restored and today the property is a Denver City Park and a Denver Landmark that serves a portal into Denver and the pioneering past of the West.

The Park is open to visitors and offers guided tours of the historic home, and for guests to learn about the craftsmanship of the historic outbuildings and barns.  It is the ideal spot to take the children to say hello to chickens, goats and horses and to have a picnic under a shady tree.

The Four Mile House Museum is open year round and offers a variety of events and programs for all ages.
For more information visit http://www.fourmilepark.org.

No related articles found.